Fireplace & Fire Pit

  • Do not use flammable liquids, plastic, newspapers, or cardboard to start or accelerate any fire.   These items can burn really hot and cause a chimney fire.   A box of duraflame fatwood is located near the fireplace and should be used to ignite all fires.
  • We usually keep a good supply of seasoned firewood handy.  The dryest firewood can be found underneath the deck outside the walk-out patio in the basement.
  • The door of the wood burning stove/chimney inside the house should be kept closed while the fire is burning.  When initially starting a fireplace fire make sure the vent lever is all the way to the left.  Once the fire is steadily burning slowly move the lever to the right to increase the heat output.  **Warning** The iron/glass fireplace door can get extremely hot…keep children away from the fireplace.
  • After any fire (inside or out) we ask that you do your best to clean up the remnants.  Burned wood can be thrown onto the steep side of the property.
  • Keep a glass or metal screen in front of the fireplace opening to prevent embers or sparks from jumping out, unwanted material from going in, and to help prevent the possibility of burns.
  • Keep flammable materials away from your fireplace mantle.  A spark from the fireplace could easily ignite these materials.
  • Never burn charcoal indoors.  Burning charcoal can give off lethal amounts of carbon monoxide.
  • Before you go to sleep, be sure your fireplace fire is extinguished.  NEVER close your damper with hot ashes in the fireplace.  A closed damper will help the fire to heat up again and will force toxic carbon monoxide into the house.
  • Do not light patio fires when it’s unusually windy and dry.
  • Never leave a fireplace fire un-attended.  If going to sleep…turn the vent lever all the way to the right to cut oxygen to fire and it should quickly die down.

Comments are closed.